Monday, November 1, 2010

Making Your Home a Haven: Final Week

For the last month, I have been linking up with Courtney at Women Living Well for her Making Your Home a Haven Challenge.  This is the last week and the focus this week is on the kitchen, the heart of the home.  

Courtney states on her blog:

First - let's focus on the spiritual side. Give thanks! In Luke 11:3, Jesus says to pray like this "Give us each day our daily bread." Do we pray and ask God for our daily bread? In America - we are so blessed we rarely have to ask. We should be abundantly thankful for the food we have! Give thanks! Give thanks for your food and give thanks for your family you share it with.



Cook things with pleasant aromas. Pick a meal the family can cook together - include everyone in a task and take pictures so everyone can remember moments in the kitchen together - test tasting, being creative, laughing and loving. Remove discontentment with your home or family and give thanks to God.



Since Monday is my bread making day, I have started the week off on the right foot, especially after adding Cinnamon Raisin Bagels to my agenda today.  They look great and I can't wait to try them.  Even though I tend to get frustrated with my little girls when they help in the kitchen, I am going to try hard to plan times this week for them to help.

I think it would also be nice to have a homemade cookie or treat ready for my oldest daughter when she comes home from school (the other kids are homeschooled).  I love cooking and baking, though it doesn't always love me. :)  I'm still trying to get off that 15 pounds from having four kids.

For the most part, I have been consistant with my quiet time and eating of the Daily Bread (God's Word, the Bible).  This hasn't always been the case and I have learned that I need to set my alarm and wake up before my children wake so that I can have this time to myself to read the Bible, pray and reflect.  One thing I know for sure is that when I don't spend time with the Lord in the morning, my whole day goes haywire. 

So as we embark on this last week of the challenge, let's do our best not only for this this last week or past month but for the coming weeks and months...to make our home a haven.

No comments: