Monday, November 15, 2010

10 Things I Want to Do

We all have hopes, dreams, aspirations, and things we want to do.  When I was a little girl, all I wanted to do was to grow up and become a mommy.  When I was a teenager, I knew that I wanted to marry a pastor.  In college, I started getting interested in the medical field.

My goals have changed over the years because I have reached some of those goals and the others because life has shown me that they are not for now. I am constantly telling my husband that I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.  While my focus for now is to raise my chilren, I still have some things on my heart that I would like to do.

1.  Take my children on the mission field - I am not talking about being a full-time missionary but taking my girls on short term trips. It is the trips that I went on as a teenager that really impacted my life.  I want my daughters to see that people all over the globe need Jesus and that we are His hands and feet.

2.  Go back to college - I have my bachelor's degree in Pastoral ministry but I would like to go back to school.  I waiver in what I want to do.  My interest in the medical field says to go to nursing school.  My heart for people tells me to study Christian Counseling.  I am not sure where I will end up down the road but I always want to be bettering myself as a person, a leader and a friend.

3. Have a homestead - I don't think I could make my own clothing from the wool that I harvest (is that even the right word) but I would love to be able to sustain myself and my family on the land.  This past year, I began grinding my own grain to make our baked goods.  I would love to expand that to include raising some animals.  I know, those of you who know me are laughing out loud right now.  I am not an animal person.  But these animals would not be in my house.

4.  Travel to each state in the United States of America - A few years ago, my husband and I mapped out our "Dream Vacation".  It included most of the great parks of the United States.  Growing up on the East Coast, I have not really ventured west to do any sightseeing.  I have been to California, but only in the San Francisco airport.  I want to do more than see cities based on flying through them. I hope that our "Dream Vacation" becomes a reality in the near future.

5.  See the world with my husband and children - Ok, maybe not the entire world but there are many beautiful things in God's wonderful creation that I would like to experience with my family.

6.   Learn to play the piano - I took about six months of piano lessons as a child and then I gave up. Now I really wish I would have stuck it out.  I guess it's not to late....better late than never right?

7.  Be more patient - If patience is a virtue, then I am far from virtuous.  I desire to be more patient with my children and husband.  I know this is a process and I am thankful that God is still working on me.

8.  Speak Spanish fluently - You'd think by now that a girl like me....who took five years of Spanish and is married to a man whose first language was Spanish, would be able to speak Spanish.  But sadly, I do not.  I gotta get rid of the fear.  Maybe then I'll be able to do it.

9. Write a book - Why?  I am not really sure but I would like to write a book one day.  What would it be about?  I don't know...maybe life.  My experiences. When I know...I'll be sure to let you know.

10. Raise children who love and serve God- This is pretty much self-explanatory.  I want my kids to love God and serve Him with their gifts and talents.

1 comment:

Taylor Shaye Bedding said...

I love this 8 out of 10 are on my list. I will pray for you in 2011 that you will not fear and you will start this list and complete it in God's time.