Friday, November 12, 2010

10 Places I'd like the Military to Take Us

Some people may think that moving every few years is annoying but I am looking at it as a perk of Army life. They pack us up, ship our stuff to our new location, unpack our stuff and put our beds and tables together.  What more could a girl ask for?

Since my husband joined the military in 2007, our family has lived in three locations.  Fort Jackson, South Carolina, Fort Hood, Texas, and South Korea.  We will be placing the following locations on our upcoming wish lists.

1.  Germany - We have visited here before back in the mid 90s when friends of ours were stationed in the Bavarian Alps.  It's a beautiful country but 10 days was just not enough.  We'd love to have the opportunity to live there.  Being centrally located in Europe would allow us to be able to travel to lots of other great places.

2.  Italy - This one probably won't happen but I can dream can't I?  I think most soldiers assigned here are Airborne and my husband is not. 

3.  Colorado - I am not entirely fond of the cold....unless snow comes with it and in Colorado they have both.  Plus Focus on the Family is located near the military posts here.  My husband would love to hike the mountains in this state.

4.  Alaska - This is one of those places where somedays I think it would be cool and other days I think it would be crazy to live here.  Friends of mine are currently stationed there and it was already snowing in October.  Plus the crazy daylight almost all day and days of sunsets at 4PM. 

5.  Hawaii - I'm not sure if I would go stir crazy living on an Island or not.  The warm weather and beaches make this location inviting.  It would be a bit expensive for my family to come and visit though.

6. Belgium - Another country in Europe. Meaning we could travel.  I have been to Ireland & England and would love my husband and children to experience what I did as a young adult.  Being stationed in Belgium, we would be central to some great tourist locations.

7. Seattle - At first, Seattle didn't appeal to me but the more I think about it, it might be a neat place to live.  Plus you can take cruises from there to see whales and glaciers in Alaska.  Does it sound like all I want to do is travel?  I want to see as much of God's wonderful creation that I can see.

8. Maryland/Virginia- Since I grew up in Maryland and Pennsylvania, any opportunity to be near family would be perfect to me. That is one of the downfalls of going wherever the Army sends you....it might be on the other side of the world, away from family.  I haven't lived on the east coast since 2007, so getting back there would be fabulous.

9. South Carolina - Since Fort Jackson is only a few hours from the beach and one of my relatives who lives in the Myrtle Beach area, this would be a good post.  Plus it is central to some places in the US that I have not had the chance to explore quite yet.

10. Tennessee - The actual post is located in Kentucky, but it's on the TN border and not to far from Nashville.  I am NOT a country fan, but this area of the USA is beautiful with it's mountains and lakes. I have driven through this area quite a bit when we lived in Texas and would drive back to Pennsylvania to visit family.

Needless to say, I have dreams, wishes and places I would like to live, but it's ultimately in God's hands where our next assignment will be.  Yes, I know, the Army cuts the orders but I believe that it is God who ordains our steps.  Are you trusting Him for your future?


In his heart a man plans his course,
but the LORD determines his steps.Proverbs 16:9

No comments: