Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Getting Organized

I love to organize!  As far back as I can remember, I love to put things in order, line things up and keep to-do lists.  I specifically remember a time when I was about 13, that I went to my Aunt Sue's house and organized her pantry for fun.  LOL  At this point, you might be saying, YUK!  Who would organize for fun?  But that is just who I am.  Still to this day I love to help others organize and find places for things in their homes.

Now I am not the type of person that you read about or see on TV where they are professional organizers but their homes are disaster areas. I am not THAT bad.  I keep things in order around my home, for the most part, though at times I can't seem to find my keys or cell phone.

As we are getting ready to move from South Korea back to the United States in the coming months, organization is important.  Our belongings will take anywhere from six to nine weeks to get back to the USA and we need to decide what we can live with and without on either end of the world.

I am in the process of purging and semi-packing (the Army will actually make sure everything is packed), at least moving things that we no longer need to our walk-in closet.  I have taken over six bags of donations to the thrift store and there is more to come.

Not only am I organizing things on this end in South Korea, but once we get stateside and our HHG (household goods) arrive, I will be doing it again.  When we came to Korea, we were only allowed to bring one half of our belongings with us, so for the last two years, the other half has been in storage in Texas.  I know some of the things that are sitting in storage, such as our treadmill, eliptical and Bowflex but besides those items, I'm not looking forward to sorting through everything else that has been packed away.

Sometimes the task seems overwhelming, but I know that if I break it down into bite-sized pieces, it will be easily managed.  So if you have a task ahead of you that looks seem unmanageable, break it down, a little at at time, day by day and you'll be surprised that you can actually get it done.  Plus, if you invite over a friend who is willing to help, it actually can be enjoyable with the right company.  Don't give up!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be sure to invite me over, my neat freaky friend!!!

Hugs from York :)