Thursday, October 7, 2010

Trusting Him

This week marks the completion of our fourth month in Korea.  I'd love to say time is flying but at this point, I am feeling overwhelmed by living life overseas away from family and familiarity. I am looking ahead and thinking that there is no way that I can get through this tour.  I was so excited about an overseas tour but not being able to make plans to see family for the upcoming holidays is making me sad.  Plus I thought about the fact that if we went back the states to visit family, maybe I wouldn't want to come back.

When my husband was deployed last year, someone gave me a deployment countdown ticker in Excel.  I have since applied it to Korea and here is where things stand.

I Arrived in Korea 05 Jun 2010   I Leave Korea Around  29 Apr 2012 
Total Days 694.00


Time Spent in Korea
4.16 Months
17.83 Weeks
124.87 Days
2,996.84 Hours
179,810.59 Minutes
10,788,636 Seconds

Remaining Time in Korea
18.97 Months
81.30 Weeks
569.13 Days
13,659.16 Hours
819,549.41 Minutes
49,172,964 Seconds

Ok, now that I got that out of my system, maybe I can start to focus on being content and not just finishing my sentence here in Korea.  Maybe that is what I am to learn these next 18.97 months....contentment.  Well, it's probably one of  the many things that God wants to teach me.  The question is...am I teachable?  or am I going  to act like one of my children in a fit of selfishness and kick and scream while yelling no, I don't want to do that.

I pray that I am teachable....humble....content....joyful...persevering...and many more of the characteristics that God wants to work in me.  Yes, Lord, in the midst of my discomfort, I will choose to trust You.

2 comments:

A Humble Planter said...

We are working on 19 months here in Germany - my husband and I were both raised in Hawaii but traveled A LOT before we got married, so neither of us thought anything of being away from home. But girlfriend, it took me almost a year to settle in and finally feel content and satisfied. I REALLY had to do some digging, I had to commit to change, and I had to force myself to see things through a new - much more appreciative - filter.

There are still days where I get frustrated (today being one of them when I was told by a girl "I needed to learn better German" - after I tried to say "I'd like two sprig of baby's breath please..... :/ ) But for the most part now, Im speaking German for the most part because I forced myself to shop on the economy, for food, clothes, textiles, everything....I am eating their food, I am intuned to their customs and holidays - but it was hard hard work.

To be honest, the Holidays were the hardest for me, winter in general is hard because I am not used to this weather - but I am learning to LOVE EVERYTHING because not too many people get the chance and blessing I have been given by being here.

My prayers for strength, and courage, and a beautiful filter are with you friend. (Sorry about the novel of a comment)

Nicole said...

Dogs, Dogtags and Stilettos
Thank you for your encouragement. I really appreciate it! It's nice to know that I am not alone in this journey of faith & where ever the military sends us. Thanks for the prayers...no worries about the novel, it's nice to hear other's stories.