Friday, October 8, 2010

Lotteria

I know what you are thinking....the Korean lottery.  Actually Lotteria is a Korean fast-food restaurant.  We have been here for a few months now and have never eaten at one.  But today that changed.  There is one in our neighborhood and since my husband was home for lunch today, we checked it out.


The first floor is where you order but the second floor is where most of the seating is located.  Since it was such a nice afternoon, we opted to eat outside.  Since we don't speak much Korean, we had to point at what we wanted.  We tried to find simple burgers and chicken strips.  We placed our order, paid and were handed a pager that would go off when our food was ready.  We weren't sure if we were getting drinks with our order or not because that never came up.

When the food arrived, some of it looked similar to what we are used to while other things were quite different.  The fries, mozzarella sticks and chicken strips looked like those from the states but the burgers were quite different.  One had mushrooms, cheese and broccoli (at least that's what I think it was) on it. Another one was dipped in a sauce and the third one looked like a regular double cheeseburger.  The taste of the burger was not the same as the US.  At first it reminded of the meat you get on a gyro but not quite.

I tried each of the burgers but none were really to my taste.  I took a bite of my daughter's chicken and boy was it spicy.  They must have soaked it in hot sauce before they cooked it because it was reddish in color when you bit into  it.

It was good to experience things from a different culture, but I don't think I'll be returning there anytime soon.

1 comment:

Mitch said...

My family didn't care for it either. The name, BTW, comes from the "Lotte" corporation family of businesses found all throughout Korea (and Japan, I'm told).