Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Homemade Monday

Monday is baking day in our home...it's the day where I make all of our bread for the week.  I have been using a recipe from a friend of mine which makes about 5 loaves of bread.  It's pretty simple to do, as far as homemade bread goes.  I never thought I would be making my own bread from scratch, but it's not as hard as I thought it would.

I have ventured out to make tortillas and have even tried making English Muffins.  This week I gathered all the ingredients to make Cinnamon Raisin Bagels.  I had hoped to make them for breakfast, but with all the time required in prep, rise, cook and bake, we had them for an afternoon snack.  I had never made a bagel before, so I was a little nervous starting off.  I found the recipe on a blog.

Dough for Cinnamon Raisin Bagels


I followed the directions to the t except for the raisins...I only had one small and one tiny snack size box in my cupboard, so that is what I used.  Once they were cooled, we dug in.  The girls loved them.  I though they tasted good but hoped they had been thicker.  I shared some with the neighbors and they liked them too!  This recipe is definitely a keeper, though I would like to try some other recipes and see how they compare.


Resting before shaping




A few of the bagels after boiling


The final product...YUM!

Do you enjoy cooking?  Are you one to follow the recipe to a T or do you like to experiment?  Have you tried to cook something new lately?  If you haven't....you should.  You might end up finding a great recipe that you and your family can enjoy.  When I first got married over 16 years ago, I never would have done this...tried a new recipe.  I wish I had been a little more daring back then.  But there is no point dwelling on the past.  I just need to step out and try something new today.  Why don't you do the same!

1 comment:

From Snowflakes To Hotcakes said...

Hi, Nicole - I tried a new recipe the other day. I love trying new recipes and try about 3 new ones a week, especially in the warmer months, when I can bake comfortably down here in GA. Last week, I made a homemade cinnamon swirl bread (SO good) and pumpkin chocolate chip bread and a stuffed pepper casserole. They all turned out well. Trying new recipes is fun as long as you have a backup plan in case they aren't as good as they look ;-) LOL