Thursday, February 10, 2011

Enhancing your Marriage

This year my husband and I will celebrate our 17th Wedding Anniversary.  We've come a long way baby!  With Valentine's Day approaching, I thought it would be a good time to post some of my favorite books, websites and such that will help enhance our marriages and love life.  There are so many resources out there, but I will only be listing the ones that I have read, used and would recommend. 




When my husband and I were married almost 17 years ago in South Central Pennsylvania there was so much that we did not know about life and marriage.  We have weathered some tough times along the way but I can honestly say our marriage is better and stronger today than it was when we were first in love.

Simply Romantic: Dates on a Dime
            This is a little book that gives great ideas of dates without spending lots of money.

Simply Romantic Nights: Igniting Passion in Your Marriage
            My husband and I bought this quite a few years ago.  It's not really a book but little cards for the man and for the woman.  Doing this post reminds me to dig it out and plan a special night for my man.  This is a great resource for getting out of your comfort zone and building intimacy in your marriage.

Sheet Music; Sex Begins in the Kitchen by Dr. Kevin Leman
            These two books are only a sampling of the many books Dr. Leman has written.  I have read most of his stuff and loved them all.

The 5 Love Languages by Dr. Gary Chapman
            This is a great book for understanding how we give and receive love.  Gary Chapman has other great resources for marriage and family.  

His Needs Her Needs by Willard F. Harley, Jr.
            We read this book during our first few years of marriage. It was used for a Couples Sunday School class in our church.

Love Talk Starters by Drs. Les and Leslie Parrott
                My husband and I used this while he was deployed to Iraq in 2009.  It is a book of questions to get conversation started.  Sometimes we are so busy with life that we forget to take time to get to know our spouses better.  Drs. Les and Leslie have a wealth of other books and information available to enhance your marriage.

Rekindling the Romance by Dennis and Barbara Rainey
            This book takes a look at issues in the marriage from both the man's and woman's perspective.


Websites:


I have a few others that I have not finished but with what I have read so far, I would definitely recommend them.
 Love & Respect    by Emmerson Eggerichs
           Sacred Marriage   by Gary Thomas

The books I have listed are by far just a sampling of what is out there.  I probably have many more that I could recommend but since we couldn't bring all of our stuff to Korea, they are sitting in a storage unit in Texas.

Do you have any books or resources to enhance marriages that you would recommend?  What has helped your marriage grown?  

Let's encourage each other to pursue a deeper and more intimate marriage as we approach the holiday where we celebrate love, Valentine's Day.

No comments: