Monday, December 6, 2010

Caramel Apple Muffins

I came across this recipe on another blog a few weeks ago (please don't ask me which blog because I can not remember) and I put it in my "try later" file.  Today became "later" and this evening I made these muffins.  I must say, they were pretty good.






Caramel Apple Muffins


2 cups of flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup of milk
1/4 cup of melted butter
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped, peeled tart apple
12 caramels


Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup oats
3 Tbs. melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon


Combine the dry ingredients.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.  Fold in the caramels and apples.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.


I made a few adjustments to the original recipe.  I omitted the butter in the topping, hoping to cut a few calories.  I also did not put the caramels in the dough.  Instead I filled each muffin tin halfway with the dough and then placed a caramel in the middle and covered it with more dough.


I  think this recipe will be a keeper.  If I can remember where I found it, I'll post a link to that blog.  Enjoy!

No comments: