Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lasagna Roll Ups

I am always on the lookout for new recipes.  Especially those that are healthy and taste good.

I make lasagna about once every other month because it is a requested favorite.  Not necessarily by my family, even though they enjoy it too but by the Korean civilians who attend my husband's weekly Bible Study on post.

So when I came across this alternative to regular lasagna, I decided to give it a try with my family.

I found the recipe at Confessions of a Homeschooler blog.  You can check it out here.



Recipe for Lasagna Roll Ups

Ingredients:
  • 1 box lasagna sheets (the real kind, not the no-bake ones)
  • 1 cup browned lean ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
  • 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, squeeze out excess water
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, separated
  • 15 oz. low fat or skim ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion salt
  • 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • Your favorite spaghetti sauce, or a jar if you are pressed for time
  • 1 cup (approximately) mozzarella sprinkled on top.
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Boil water in large stock pot and cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. (Cook 1-2 noodles per person, plus a few extras just in case some tear.)
  3. Brown meat, along with garlic powder, onion salt, basil, oregano, and parsley.
  4. In medium sized bowl, mix browned meat, ricotta, spinach, and 1/4 c Parmesan.
  5. Spray baking dish with non-stick spray and cover bottom of pan lightly with sauce.
  6. Drain cooked noodles in colander and lay on towel to dry.
  7. Spread meat filling along one noodle and roll up. Place completed roll into pan. Repeat with remaining noodles.
  8. Top completed rolls with sauce, then sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese and a handful of mozzarella if desired.
  9. Bake at 350 degrees covered with foil for approximately 30-40 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Since we are counting down our days left on my husband's tour here in South Korea, I have been letting the items in my refrigerator and pantry run out.  Thus I had no Parmesan cheese, so instead I put mozzarella into the meat mixture and only topped the completed rolls with mozzarella.

The girls all liked this new recipe so we will have to make it again in the near future!

No comments: