Monday, September 12, 2011

Where were you?

There are a handful of dates that are stuck in my memory.  I will always remember where I was on those specific days.  Some of them bring happy memories, like my wedding day or the birth of my children.  Others bring to my memory times that are not so happy, like 9/11.

I had just started a new job at the local hospital. Even though my job would be working nights, I had to train for a week during the day.  I was sitting in my office entering data in the computer when a supervisor came in to say that a plane hit one of the World Trade Centers. 

My first thought, was how strange!  Wasn't air traffic control doing their job.  Did we know anyone who worked in the WTC?  Since my husband was from New York City, there was a good chance that we knew someone who worked there.

Then minutes later, we heard that another plane had gone into the second WTC.  I knew it was no accident at that point.  I picked up the phone and called my husband, who was at home with our almost four and one year old daughters.  I told him to turn on the TV right away.



For awhile, my co-workers and I went into the Same Day Surgery waiting room where the TV was on to catch the latest news coverage.  It was unfathomable what was taking place.  Too crazy that it didn't seem real.

That day will be forever in my memory.  By the end of the day, too many innocent lives were lost in the United States.  War came home and on our own soil.  If ever, a nation needed the Lord, this is one of those times.

No comments: