Monday, August 8, 2011

Homeschooling for High School

This coming school year, my oldest daughter will be starting her freshman year of high school. Wow, I can't believe she is that old already.  It seems like just yesterday that we were beginning our homeschool journey with kindergarten.  Things were easier back then.  I only had one child to teach.  I didn't have to worry about transcripts, high school credits or a diploma.

When we were in the United States, we would follow the homeschool laws of the state where we lived. Even if we had residency in Pennsylvania but our family was living in South Carolina, we were subject to the laws of South Carolina. 

But things aren't that easy here in South Korea.  Since we don't live in a state, what homeschool guidelines or rules do we fall under??  I have been very concerned about making sure Marissa's high school years count or that she can get a diploma after we leave Korea next year. By the time she graduates high school, we could be living in at least 3 if not 4 different locations or states.  I don't want her to be at a loss because I didn't do the right thing.

So because of our unique situation, I have been researching accredited schools that she could attend.  My first choice was a local International Christian School here in South Korea.  It's a great school with electives and it's accredited  BUT it costs over $15,000.  Not quite in the price range I had been hoping for.

My search then took me to online Christian schools.  And there are a lot of them.  Some are all computer based, while others send you everything you need to complete their coursework.  Some are accredited, while many are not.

We finally decided on a school that was recommended to us by a retired US Army Colonel.  Our choice for Marissa for this fall is NorthStar Academy.   In the dealings that I have had with the school thus far, I am very pleased.  Marissa doesn't officially start school until next Monday, but we are looking forward to a good year.

I know that I probably could have just taught Marissa myself and not have worried about finding an accredited school, but I had to make a decision that was right for our family right now. 

Maybe you are in a time of making decisions for your life or those in your family.  Let me encourage you to seek the Lord.  He will give you wisdom when you ask Him.  Trust Him to lead you and your family today.

No comments: