Monday, January 10, 2011

Shrimp with Feta

My mom had a good friend who came to live with our family for awhile when I was growing  up.  She was a very special person to our family.  She made this recipe for us and I just loved it.  I added it to my hope chest, as I was not married at the time.  Over the years, I will make this recipe for special occasions. 


 I have modified the original recipe a bit and do it entirely on the stove instead of putting it in the oven.  At times I will also use white cooking wine when I don't have any vermouth on hand.  It is still by far one of our families favorites and whenever shrimp are on sale, this is our go to recipe.  I just had to share it with you and hope you love it as much as we do.  


Thank you Ms. Andye for sharing with me.




Shrimp with Feta


6 Tbs. unsalted butter
3 cloves of minced garlic
3/4 tsp of dried oregano
1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
pinch of salt.
2 lbs. of shrimp, peeled and deveined
3/4 c. dry vermouth
12 oz chopped plum tomatoes
3 oz feta cheese
1/4 c. fresh parsley


Melt butter in a heavy skillet.  Add garlic, shrimp, oregano, pepper, and salt.  Cook until shrimp are pink, turning once every 2 1/2 minutes.  Transfer shrimp to another dish.  Add vermouth to the skillet and boil until reduce by half (about 3 minutes).  Add tomatoes and stir until heated through  Return shrimp to the skillet and crumble feta on the top.  Cover and cook for about 8 more minutes.  Sprinkle with parsley and serve over pasta.

No comments: